On a cold day in January,
2000, this family was enjoying the warmth of their fireplace when they
noticed an unusual amount of smoke outside their house. Their two story
wood famed house, built in 1926, had recently had a flue liner installed
inside the aging masonry chimney. Fire found its way through a crack in
the flu liner and chimney, and started the adjoining wall framing on
fire. The fire spread to the floor joists and into the living room and
basement areas of the house. There was smoke and heat damage to the rest
of the house.
Some of the unusual constraints of this project included reconfiguring
the existing corner masonry fireplace to a centered gas fireplace.
Because the fire was caused by the fireplace, much research was involved
in providing the downers with the safest possible replacement. The
exterior of the house had an old type stucco, referred to as "pebble
dash", which was difficult to match at the fire damaged areas. A stucco
contractor, who had experience with this kind of stucco, was found, and
created an excellent match to the existing stucco.
Not only was all fire, smoke, and water damage repaired, but the home
was remodeled to better suit the family’s lifestyle.